Monday, March 3, 2008

Game of the Year 12th Place Critique



While I'm sure there are those out there who are thinking that I definitely can't ever get tired of being wrong after being so so many times, I assure you the constant snickering that's definitely going on behind my back is causing me a bit of irritation. Nevertheless, having picked this game to finish 12th while I would have ranked it 13th myself can hardly qualify as a horrendous overall pick, even if my weekly predictions continue to be so far off. I personally had a rather tough time with this game compared to most others as I really didn't have a clear indication of where I thought it would land so I'm glad I was basically spot-on with it. Let's see what the judges said.


Robby Adamson: I must say I'm surprised that any judge wound up ranking this game so high. While his comments on this game seem to mirror most other's feelings about it, just in its entirety I personally didn't feel this game quite had what it took either in drama or sheer quality to crack the Top 5.


Ron Young: While I wouldn't dare to try to word things the way he does, in his own roundabout style, he seems to basically share most people's basic view on this game: a good game, but doesn't have quite what it takes to be a top contender.


Alex Shabalov: I could wallow in disgust over the lack of nicknames, but the awe of the succinctness of his comment has once again managed to overwhelm me to the point where I didn't feel the need to.


Dennis Monokroussos: I think Dennis has found a very clever way to avoid me blasting his comments; by talking about the opening theory of each game, which he must know that I have absolutely no knowledge of, he probably figures he can avoid my wrath. Unfortunately, if he keeps making those videos, I might just go to them to find the appropriate ammunition.


Jennifer Shahade: Just like Ron Young's comment, I think Jenn's basic stance on the game seemed to be the most popular one for it, good but not quite good enough to be near the top.


Someday, I'm sure I will be correct again, but for any who think it might be next week, I'd advise you to hedge your bets.

No comments: